February 7, 2013

From the HEART

 Just in the nick of time,
I've created a pillow that's perfect for Valentine's Day!

{Or any other day of the year!}


 When I chose this month's theme...HEART...
I knew I wanted to make a quilted pillow for my project.


At the end of January I got involved with the Sew Can She
sew along, using the Herringbone Block tutorial from Bijou Lovely.

As soon as my first block was finished,
it gave me the idea to use it in the pillow!

{See what I mean?  It is kind of heart-shaped already.}


So I put this block aside until yesterday,
when I had some time for sewing. 
I pulled out my trusty machine applique friend...
Heat N Bond Lite.


I used the advanced heart-making skills 
I learned in elementary school quite a few years ago, 
and I cut out a big HEART template from a piece of paper, 
folded in half.  
I traced it onto the paper side of the Heat N Bond Lite
and cut it out, leaving about 1/2" on each side of the line.

Then I pressed the side with the exposed glue onto the BACK of my fabric,
centered to show off the pretty heart shape.

{Because I removed the center area of the Heat N Bond,
my heart was not overly stiffened.  Everyone loves a soft heart.}


Next  I cut out the heart on the line I'd drawn.


Easy peasy...here it is, with the paper backing removed,
all ready for stitching onto my square of creamy vanilla fabric.


I drive a Pfaff 2040 that is about 12 years old.

{I still love it.}

  It has an awesome blanket stitch that was the deal-maker for me 
when I was shopping for my sewing machine.


In no time, the center was finished.  
I chose two prints and made a mitered border.
I fused a piece of Pellon 987F fusible fleece to the back,
and it was ready for some quilting.

I stippled the entire center area.


For the borders,
I quilted straight lines, about 1/4" apart all the way around and around.
I love the crisp modern finish.


Now it was time to make the back...
and I used my very own free tutorial
for Pillow Backs with a Covered Zipper...a lovely finish, no?



The Pellon ShapeFlex 101SF fusible interface
keeps the back of my pillow smooth and strong.
I had no trouble stuffing a 20" pillow form inside,
for extra fullness and pudge!

{I wish you could squeeze this pillow for yourself.}



I just listed this pillow in my shop on Etsy, eamylove.
Hurry on over to see it, plus other projects I made
from the same fabrics.


Sending my LOVE for all of my friends Across The Pond
and on this same side...
with all my HEART!



Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Simply Gorgeous and perfection, Amy!
    Love the meandering stitching and blanket stitching!

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! It's like combining a chevron into a heart. Your pillow is so sweet and your fabrics are perfect. I am loving all of the "Across the Pond" heart projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful beautiful work, Amy! I LOVE this pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a gorgeous pillow! Your free machine quilting is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love it. So creative and so beautiful. Some of my favorite fabrics in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognize that quilt block! What I a Great way to use it! Totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heat bond + blanket stitch? got it! This really is beautiful I love the pudginess did the sizes match or for more pudginess you went down a size? mitered corners very nice touch : ) can't wait to see the tutorial, thanks I needed that!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.